Early Years Foundation Stage Visits
In the Early Years Foundation Stage, pupils enjoy a wide variety of of visits and visitors that enrich their already wide and diverse curriculum.
- In December, as part of our Marvelous Middle, Recpetion pupils visit Church Farm, in Stow Bardolph, to learn about the Nativity and to visit Father Christmas! As well as meeting some of the stable animals close up, there are interactive displays and seasonal craft activities. The story of the Nativity is written onto boards and placed around scenes, set up in a large barn, wit the manger in the centre. Pupils get to write their Christmas wishes onto a star, tell Father Christmas what they are hoping for and can even sit in his magical sleigh. Father Christmas may even have a small gift for the children, ahead of the big day!
- Norwich Puppet Theatre is renowned for its high quality puppetry productions for family and Early Years audiences, and they tour around the UK and internationally. The Reception pupils enjoy one of their memorable Christmas productions. This wonderful experience is generously subsidised by the Friends of Hillcrest.
- In the Spring Term, Olly Day teachers the pupils about Road Safety through his educational (and very entertaining) Magic Show. It's a great show with all the magic based around Safety themes. Olly uses some fabulous magic to promote 'Stop, Look & Listen' and 'Be Bright at Night'. He also dresses the children up in reflective clothing to show how important it is to be 'Safe and Seen'.
Having enjoyed texts such as 'We're Going on a Bear Hunt' and 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears', Reception pupils enjoy a visit from Bethany and Benjamin Bear. These two road safety teddy bears, assisted and interpreted by a member of the Road Safety staff, talk about keeping safe by the road and in the car.
- Teddy bears are also looked at further when Reception pupils visit Discover Downham Heritage Centre. The pupils explore toys, old and new, as well as getting to handle and sort a range of toys from the past and present. They also have fun making peg dolls and learn some playground songs and games.
- They then share a Fabulous Finish in the form an a lovely Teddy Bear's Picnic, where friends and family are invited in to school for some snacks and games!